A few decades ago, you would have come across a big home audio system in many households. It was the technology that impressed the people back then. Mind you, we are talking about the late 1900s and early 2000s. But that is not the case anymore.
As technology has progressed and people’s love for aesthetic interior have grown, electronic gadgets have started to take shape in the same way. Similarly, those big audio systems have now been rapidly replaced by more slim and inventive looking soundbars.
So if you are planning to set up a soundbar in your home then you will need to know about a lot of things. We have brought you a brilliant buying guide that will help you choose the best soundbar in the market.
Since there are several products available in the current market, it can get quite confusing to choose the right product that will be a real deal. Make sure to read this buying guide till the end and get the audio quality in your house for which you have been eagerly waiting.
Most Important Aspects You Should Not Miss
First things first. There are certain aspects which should not be neglected at any cost or else you will not be able to identify the best soundbar you need. So I will tell you some important points which are worth noting down.
Soundbar With 3 or More Audio Channels –
when you are investing in a soundbar make sure you are purchasing the one which will be able to satisfy your audio needs. To do so, it is recommended that you buy a soundbar with at least 3 or more than 3 audio channels.
2.1 Soundbars are budget-friendly but they will not be able to deliver a mesmerising experience. With a soundbar that has 3 or more audio channels, the sound is more immersive and powerful.
Purchase an Active Soundbar –
keep in mind that there are two categories of a soundbar – passive and active. You must choose an active soundbar. These soundbars have a built-in amplifier that resonates sound with much better quality and consistent power all the time.
It also helps to save a lot of space when there is a dearth of it.
Location of Soundbar –
the location where you want to keep your soundbar is very crucial. Soundbars can be placed in front of your TV, be mounted on a wall or kept under your television. Always choose a location which is not cramped and there is ample space available for it to freely resonate the sound properly.
Check connectivity features –
connectivity is a very important feature that you should check. Nowadays soundbars come with a wide range of connectivity options. So you will need to make sure your gadget has most of them.
Here are some of the most common connectivity features available – HDMI, 3.5mm jack, Bluetooth, HDMI ARC etc.
Always Choose a Reputed Dealer –
To make sure that you are buying a genuine product, you will need to select a reputed dealer. They will provide you with top quality soundbars and also their after sales service are commendable. Many reputed dealers also provide good discounts and other benefits as well to their customers.
Example: Amazon & Flipkart
Crucial Things To Keep in Mind
You are now aware of some of the most important aspects which you should not neglect. We are going to discuss with you some crucial things which you should keep in mind before purchasing a soundbar. Have a look.
Where will you place the soundbar?
This is an important thing which needs to be brought under the light. The location of your soundbar will surely influence the kind of sound you are listening to. Soundbars are easy to Install and they can be connected easily at any position, whether it is mounted on the wall or placed under a TV. It is recommended to try and place your soundbar in front or just under the TV.
Mounting it on a wall might disperse the sound to your surroundings and those sitting front will not get an ideal experience. That is not the case when you place it in front of the TV because then the sound is more direct.
The ideal size of your soundbar
If you look into the aesthetics point of view, your soundbar should be of a size that is not bigger than your television set. Apart from that, any size of the soundbar will always suffice. Most soundbars in the current market come with a sleek and sophisticated finish which actually looks great in any interior. So choosing the size of your soundbar is totally up to your preferences.
Difference Between an Active and Passive soundbar
As we mentioned previously, that you must always choose an active soundbar we will discuss with you what is the major difference between them is. In a passive soundbar setup, you will not get an already built-in power amplifier and therefore you will need to include an amplifier or a receiver to this setup.
Consequently, there will be some extra speakers which also adds to the overall cost of this setup. On the other hand, an active soundbar is integrated with an inbuilt amplifier which can help to give out a much better sound. This amplifier helps to power all the various speakers which are available in this setup.
Both these two sets of soundbars have their own benefits. A passive soundbar is a good option when you want to customize your soundbar setup but go with an active one if you want to upgrade your TV’ audio performance. Therefore, it is important that you choose it yourself.
Different Soundbar Channels
Well, there are a lot of different audio channels available to you for your soundbar. That is the reason why you will need to choose between these options mentioned.
- 2.1 channel – two speakers which in your left and right and one subwoofer.
- 3.1 channel – three speakers (left, centre and right) and one subwoofer.
- 5.1 channel – the five speakers will be available in centre, right, left, and two in the rear.
- 7.1 channel – these are more powerful than other categories of a soundbar which produces better and immersive sound quality.
Take a note that the bigger the soundbar setup is, the more powerful audio output you will get. More speakers mean better immersive experience and will consequently deliver unforgettable audio output. Depending on your budget and preferences you will need to choose among these options.
Advance Decoder Technology:
If you want to be totally satisfied with what you are purchasing, always go for soundbars which have Dolby Atmos or DTS integrated into them for a more ecstatic encounter.
Vital connectivity options
We are now in one of the most important section of our article and I will discuss with you about the connectivity features that you will require. Have a look at them.
- Bluetooth – advanced and the key connectivity option that most soundbars come with is a Bluetooth. This mode of connectivity is more convenient because it does not involve any wires and can be easily done remotely.
- HDMI ARC – you will just need to connect your soundbar with the Audio Return Channel (ARC) port to your television and you are all set. With a single wire, you can get an excellent audio output.
- Optical Port – with the help of an optical port you will be very easily able to connect your TV with any soundbar. It is one of the most common and reliable methods of connectivity.
- Red and White Phono Cables – these are also a common way of connecting your soundbar and TV. They are efficient and can easily help you sync both the devices without issues.
Special features to look for
Soundbars can host a wide range of features that will bring more convenience and utility to the customers. So here are some special features that you need to look out for.
- Dialogue settings – this helps to enhance a character’s speech or dialogue in any video.
- Different modes – better sound experience for different activities like gaming, movie or music.
- Volume-leveling technology – for consistent volume and quieter advertisements.
- Dolby Atmos – enriches the surround sound quality and overall balance of bass and treble.
- Personal Assistant – recognises your voice for more smooth, quick and reliable control.
- Meridian Sound technology – clear and enthralled sound experience in biggest rooms.
- 4K/3D pass-through – ensures a good range of sound by connecting your device to the soundbar instead of your television.
By Observing all of these features and audio performance we have shortlisted Best Soundbars in Every Budget that are available in India.
Most Trusted Soundbar Brands
Here is a list of the most trusted and popular soundbar brands from whom you can purchase your gadget.
- Q Acoustics
Final Verdict –
if you have read our buying guide till this point then you are now aware of all the important aspects that you need to check before purchasing a soundbar. We have tried to include all the crucial points to keep in mind in this guide so that you can buy a soundbar that will suit your needs the best.
Try to purchase a soundbar from the brands that we have enlisted for a genuine, rich and high-quality audio experience in your home.